Baltic birch plywood
A superior plywood
All collections are made from 100% Baltic Birch Plywood.
Baltic Birch is a plywood product made of birch veneers sourced from the northeastern region of Europe around the Baltic Sea. A very strong and lightweight material, birch plywood has been used for cabinets, skateboards, and even large aircraft (including the Spruce Goose). We use Baltic Birch because of its fantastic structural and aesthetic properties. These include:
- Durability & strength
- Light weight
- Crack & warp-resistance due to cross-banded plies
- Fewest voids of any plywood
- The same material all the way through, not using weaker or softer wood in the center
- A thick face veneer - same thickness as the center
- Appealingly light color
- Beautiful fine-grain, due to short growing season of its northern climate
- Attractive, satin-like sheen
- Highly decorative Ripple-figuring (occurs occasionally)
Our Painted finishes are achieved with layers of a water based paint. Hardwood parts like rungs and handles are finished with bee wax and hard wood oil.
Clean painted faces using a mild cleaner. Spray cleaner on the painted surface and wipe off immediately. Remember - Bilauf products are not intended for outdoor use. Avoid all contact with oil. If wet, wipe dry immediately. Unpainted faces can be wiped or sanded clean depending on the dirtying substance. Only sand the unpainted faces in line with the direction of the grain.
Bilauf strives to be an environmentally responsible designer and manufacturer of modern furniture. We take our impact on the environment seriously and work to use smart design to provide a quality product with minimal impact.